This post has been long put-off. Not because I didn’t want to write it, but just because I haven’t gotten around to it, which is often my only excuse when something takes a lot longer to finish than necessary. I’m notorious for needing the right mood to strike at the absolute right moment in order to get something started and finished.
Last summer, I wrote this post on a day well-spent at the Aberfoyle Antique Market where I picked up the perfect vanity chair for my soon-to-happen vanity makeover project. I had purchased an old dresser on Kijiji for $40 a few weeks earlier because it was time to move out of the bathroom – a single shared bathroom with your boyfriend just doesn’t work when your makeup collection is only ever growing. After scooping up the chair for $20, the project was ready to go at any moment!
Fast-forward ten months. I’m unemployed with nothing but time on my hands, some foam and fabric I had purchased for the chair at some point between July and May, a set of drawer pulls I’d found on clearance at Homesense and some paint gifted to me by my parents who had recently sold their house in anticipation of their grand move to Grand Cayman.
It had finally arrived – the right mood at the right moment. I was ready to tackle the vanity and truly carve out my corner of the apartment for all things beauty.
Keeping with the theme of delaying every aspect of this for no reason, that brings me to now, August, where I’m finally sharing the before and after reveal with you.
When I decided to take on redoing the vanity, I had recently finished doing a dining set with my boyfriend. The hours of sanding solo on this project though were somewhat therapeutic, since I’d throw in some earbuds and either listen to motivational talks or great music while semi-aggressively grinding the sh*t out of the wood and erasing any trace of stain. At that point I had no idea what was going to happen with my life or how long I’d be in this state of limbo, so I was doing the best I could to make the most of it and part of that included finishing up things I’d been putting off.
As far as how I went about this, it was pretty straightforward: sand everything down as much as possible (thank god for electric sanders!!), clean it up really well, paint and switch the handles. For the chair, it was a matter of cutting out a fresh piece of furniture foam for the seat and staple-gunning some fresh fabric on it, and spray painting the chair a clean coat of gold. It took about a week total, mostly because the sanding took a lot longer than anticipated – the stain as you can see was very dark and hard to erase.
All in all, I’d say the project cost me about $100. I added a power bar inside one of the bottom drawers to hook up my hot tools for hair which was a nice bonus, but I’m still needing to switch two of the drawers because the cord is not quite long enough (that’s why the bottom drawer on each side looks mismatched – they’re supposed to be switched). I’m so happy with the result and pleased to say it was one of many positives that came out of my three-month funemployement experience. I encourage you to DIY your own “vanity” if you’re wanting something customized and budget-friendly!